If you’re reading this, you’re likely a fraud risk leader looking for ways to reduce fraud or a product leader looking to gain efficiencies in manual processes. Your team still has 5+ fraud analysts who must visually inspect income/identity documents for evidence of manipulation and manually extract/match data from documents. Further, today’s accelerated digital environment has your team reviewing more and more applications with minimal, if any, increase in operational headcount.
You have a fraud detection challenge combined with an operational scale bottleneck. Inscribe’s advice: stop accepting images and scans of application documents. What’s the alternative to images and scans? The answer is a True PDF.
True PDFs are digitally native documents downloaded directly from a financial/utility/payroll institution. True PDFs are born in the digital world, are never physical paper copies, and have 5 major advantages compared to images and scanned documents.
Here are 5 reasons why your team should never accept an image or scan again:
- Images and scans do not have embedded layering. Suspicious layering within a document is a sure fire way to determine a fraudulent manipulation has occurred. True PDFs maintain layering throughout its lifecycle. With Inscribe, fraud analysts can quickly investigate document layering to determine if a manipulation has occurred.
- Images and scans do not have embedded text. True PDFs have embedded text which provides information such as font style, space, coloring, and placement. For example, a Bank of America bank statement should have size 10 times new roman font. Any font style and/or size mismatch would be a strong signal of document manipulation. With Inscribe, you can quickly compare the expected/known embedded text in a True PDF bank statement to the embedded text in a document provided by an applicant. Here at Inscribe, we call this fingerprinting and we support statements from the top 100 US banks.
- Images and scans do not have a file history. You can't X-Ray Images and scans. With Inscribe, you can use our X-ray capabilities to compare what the document looked like before it was tampered. Often, you'll be able to uncover the previous $ amount, original name, original date, and/or original address of a document before a fraudulent manipulation. X-ray is Inscribe's WOW! factor and is guaranteed to blow your socks off.
- Images and scans have little to no metadata. True PDFs have a rich amount of metadata such as created date/last modified date, author of document, software used to create the document, etc. With Inscribe, you’ll be able to quickly determine if there's suspicious evidence of manipulation in the metadata such as Adobe Photoshop. Without metadata, you’re flying blind in your document review process.
- You cannot automate the review of images and scanned documents. This one is simple- if you collect images/scans, you’ll forever need a manual review team. Images and scanned documents can not automatically be trusted (for above fraud concerns 1-4). If you make the shift to only accept True PDFs.
Inscribe will enable you to create a touchless document review process that does the following steps:
- Verifies no evidence of fraud left by layering analysis, embedded text analysis, file history recovery analysis, and metadata analysis.
- Match the name and address on the document to the expected name and address. Inscribe OCR’s each document, parsing names, addresses, etc and perform fuzzy matching against the expected data.
- Perform a recent check on the document. Inscribe extracts a document date which you can access if it falls within the last 30, 60, 90, etc days.
- Ensure the document class is the expected document class (if you ask a customer for a bank statement, you need to be able to detect if they send a picture of a cat).
- Bonus information for developer friends and data science- Inscribe’s average response time is 10 seconds. We can also return a JSON file with all raw OCR’d text. Learn more here: Inscribe advanced API documents
Stop accepting images and scanned documents - start automating your document review process with robust fraud detection capabilities.
Interested to learn more? Let’s set-up 15 minutes to discuss your document fraud detection and automation goals. Contact our sales team here.